The Centre for Security, Communications and Network Research (CSCAN) is an established research group, comprising staff from the School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics at Plymouth University. Since 1984 the centre has operated under a number of names as the scope of our research has extended (see history below). We currently have 15 full time academic staff linked to the research centre with supervision responsibility for over 60 postgraduate research students based in Plymouth and overseas (including our CSCAN Network nodes).
CSCAN has a proven research pedigree, including both collaborative work with industry and participation in European research initiatives. The work has led to many successful postgraduate projects, as well as numerous publications. In addition to an active base of postgraduate and postdoctoral research, our research also underpins a number of MSc and MRes programmes. We are also able to offer tailored short courses and other Continuing Professional Development support (please contact us for further details).
CSCAN has a long history dating back to 1984.
- 1984: Network Research Group (NRG) founded by Prof. Peter Sanders within the Department of Communication Engineering (under the former Plymouth Polytechnic)
- 1998: Founding of the International Network Conference (INC) with subsequent events in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014
- 2000: Formed a temporary collaboration (Centre for Communications, Networks and Information Systems - CCNIS) with the Signal Processing and Multimedia Communications and the CDMA Mobile Communication Networks Research groups for the RAE submission in 2001
- 2004: Launch of the NRG Network with the establishment of our first node - University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt (see CSCAN Network)
- 2007: Group renamed to incorporate the security theme of our research (Information Security and Network Research Group - ISNRG)
- 2007: Centre for Applied Internet Research (CAIR) at Glyndwr University joined the ISNRG Network as an adjunct node
- 2007: Founding of the Human Aspects of Information Security & Assurance symposium with subsequent events annually.
- 2008: Group renamed as the Centre for Information Security and Network Research (CISNR)
- 2009: Centre combined with the Fixed and Mobile Communications Research Group to create the Centre for Security, Communications and Network Research (CSCAN)
- 2010: Furtwangen University of Applied Sciences joined the CSCAN Network
NRG leaflet circa 1994
NRG poster 2005
CSCAN research data sheet 2009
CSCAN poster 2010
Our sites over the years...
Network Research Group site circa 1998
Network Research Group site circa 2000
Network Research Group site circa 2001
CCNIS site circa 2001
ISNRG site circa 2007
CSCAN site circa 2009